how hi the fi?

How Hi The Fi is the personal blog of Paul Rehm that might more aptly be named "Ranking Everything." The focal points of the blog are the posts in which I take an artist's career - be it musical, directorial or something else - view, listen to or read their work chronologically and then rank them from best to worst. In between these posts, I share my day-to-day happenings and plans for future lists. The blog is named after an album by jazz musician Buck Clayton that captures the attitude this blog would ideally convey. Be sure to bookmark this page and come back often!

Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Child Of Five Would Understand This. Someone Fetch A Child Of Five.

Well, I did it. I attempted the Gallon Challenge. It was an interesting experience. Of course I did not succeed in the typical sense. I did exceed some expectations. I took down a ton of milk. I didn't instantly throw up (I had to force myself to throw up). Theres are a lot of glorious details to come when we finish editing the video. Right near the end I was disappointed in my performance then I took down a huge glass of milk and it didn't make vomit (as time expired). I couldve handled a little more before my body started its evacuation plan. A few things to whet your appetite: the video won't be too gross (we didn't record most of the grosser parts, but believe me you'll get the idea), the video will be pretty funny, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and could possibly be talked into trying it again. Get excited. No, I don't currently know exactly when it'll be posted.
In other news, after attempting the gallon challenge, we went to see Pineapple Express. This movie was very, very interesting. While walking out of the theater I called it "the best bad movie I've ever seen" and I stand by this statement. It was completely and utterly hilarious. The script was fantastic and there weren't any gaping plot holes. The direction and/or editing were beyond bad, though. I feel like the movie was supposed to exist in a different world than it did. The director went through great lengths to show the world in which these events took place was our own and then constantly had things happen that defied logic. If we're playing by the rules of our world, you can't have events that would make a normal person scratch their head in disbelief passed along as no big deal. This happened the entire movie, whether it was Seth Rogan's relationship with the high school chick, the high school chick's parents' weird attitudes about everything that happens, or everyone in the entire movie never questioning the legality of having weed (including the non-corrupt cops), crazy things happen throughout the entire movie and not too many people acknowledge these things are crazy. Also, the casting director clearly had a better sense of humor than the director. Rosie Perez? Seriously? It would be funny to put Rosie Perez in a movie like this if they wanted to make it funny, but they just had her playing it straight and it took away from things for me. She was awful, as was just about everyone except the two stars. So, in lieu of a solid movie, we have the jokes. The jokes do not disappoint. They pour them on at a great pace that doesn't really let up no matter what bizarre event is going on. This is why everyone and their mother will tell you to go see this movie. It's completely hilarious and most of the jokes are original. Maybe the audience enjoyed the stupid action/falls humor more than the clever humor, but the movie didn't lack in the clever department. All in all, I wasn't disappointed I went to see it. I didn't leave the theater all moist like my friends did, but I'd still recommend it.
It will probably end up being the best movie on the year I wouldn't buy. But who knows, maybe I'll be talked into it. It's certainly a good conversation-piece movie. Oh, and if you like Simon Pegg movies, I recommend this one for you especially.
Updated list of 2008 movies:

12. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
11. Charlie Bartlett
10. Definitely, Maybe
9. Incredible Hulk, The
8. Semi-Pro
7. Horton Hears A Who
6. Pineapple Express
5. Get Smart
4. Iron Man
3. My Blueberry Nights
2. Dark Knight, The
1. WALL-E

1 comment:

Katy said...

WALL-E was fantastic as was The Dark Knight of course. I love that you have Definitely, Maybe on there because I adore that more...just like Ryan Reynolds.