how hi the fi?

How Hi The Fi is the personal blog of Paul Rehm that might more aptly be named "Ranking Everything." The focal points of the blog are the posts in which I take an artist's career - be it musical, directorial or something else - view, listen to or read their work chronologically and then rank them from best to worst. In between these posts, I share my day-to-day happenings and plans for future lists. The blog is named after an album by jazz musician Buck Clayton that captures the attitude this blog would ideally convey. Be sure to bookmark this page and come back often!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's Not Arrogance When It's True

My deep, perhaps irrational love for toothpastefordinner will probably come up from time to time. Here's a decent one from June.

Got bored today, posted a bunch of my favorite lyrics on Facebook because I often find it easier to let other people (the musicians) do my philosophizing for me. And because I am one of those people who believes good song selections = good person. There is something inherently ridiculous about this belief, but I haven't been able to articulate it yet so I'm going to pretend it's not true for the time being. Here's what I chose. In retrospect, they're not as good out of the context of the songs themselves. Oh well. Enjoy?

  • "and as for my inflammatory writ, well i wrote it when i was not inflamed one bit." - joanna newsom, "inflammatory writ"
  • "there was that night where we thought john berryman could fly, but he didn't so he died. she said 'you're pretty good with words but words won't save your life' and they didn't so he died." - the hold steady, "stuck between stations"
  • "and your mom would stick a fork right into daddy's shoulder, and dad would throw the garbage all across the floor, as we would lay and learn what each other's bodies were for." - neutral milk hotel, "king of carrot flowers"
  • "can you hear me? will you listen? don't come near me, don't go missing. and in the lissome light of evening, help me, Cosmia, i'm grieving." - joanna newsom, "cosmia"
  • "i've got to make my bed if i am gonna lay with you; cause a disaster's a disaster no matter what Christian language you drag it through." - manchester orchestra, "wolves at night"
  • "but i learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause i know there is this side of me that wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just fly the whole mess into the sea." - the shins, "young pilgrims"
  • "isis, oh isis, you're a mystical child. what drives me to you is what drives me insane. i still can remember the way that you smiled on the fifth day of may in the drizzling rain." - bob dylan, "isis"
  • "the trees are rumbling in the woods, the leaves are falling off of the shelf. you're gonna need my help, sweetheart, you can't make love all by yourself." - bob dylan, "lonesome day blues"
  • "what the water wants is hurricanes and sailboats to ride on its back. what the water wants is sun kiss and land to run into and back." - sufjan stevens, "sister"
  • "big heads and soft bodies make for lousy lovers." - the hold steady, "stuck between stations"
  • "oh great intentions, covenant with the imitation. have you no conscience? i think about it now." - sufjan stevens, "come on! feel the illinoise!"
  • "i can't explain the state that i'm in, the state of my heart, he was my best friend. into the car, from the back seat, oh admiration in falling asleep!" - sufjan stevens, "predatory wasp"
  • "confessingly, this is the first time i've loved you, and God i mean it, God i mean it, i hope that i mean it. 'cause like dying young, idols got the best of me. well don't stop calling, you're the reason i love losing sleep." - manchester orchestra, "colly strings"
  • "well i promise this time really, yeah, i'm cleaning up sincerely, yeah, and i'll make sure that the devil never bothers you again." - manchester orchestra, "golden ticket"
  • "every time he touches you his hair stands up on end, his legs begin to quiver and his mind begins to bend. oh baby, you're such a tasty treat, but I'm under doctor's orders, i'm afraid to overeat." - traveling wilburys, "dirty world"
  • "the poor cook he caught the fits and threw away all my grits and then he took and he ate up all of my corn. let me go home, why dont they let me go home? this is the worst trip i've ever been on." - the beach boys, "sloop john b"
  • "rest in my arms, sleep in my bed, there's a design to what i did and said." - sufjan stevens
  • "so look into my face marie-claire, and remember just who you are. then go and forget me forever, 'cause i know you still bear the scar, deep inside, yes you do. i know where you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your bed? i know the thoughts that surround you 'cause i can look inside your head." - peter sarstedt, "where do you go to my lovely"
  • "this summer, grant us all the power to drink on top of water towers, with love, and trust, and shows, all summer (get hammered!). let this be my annual reminder that we can all be something bigger." - the hold steady, "constructive summer"

1 comment:

nichole davis said...

toothpaste for dinner is the shit.
if you like that, you should read xkcd.

this one's my favourite:
"rest in my arms, sleep in my bed, there's a design to what i did and said." - sufjan stevens